Sunday, November 10, 2013

Met Ketty Thought the Amish's

 
For my second time, I climbed the Mount Carmel. The first time was in 2010 in Haifa, and Saturday, Nov.09th, I saw that script on a road signal as I approached Pennsylvania. Whaou! The world is really small, did I tell myself. No, it probably has different meaning over here. It's like these people I was going to visit : The Amish. They are in some other States in America, and even in Canada, but it is said that the Pennsylvania may have a significance group. They came escaping                                                                                                                                              t
he persecution, and found shelter under  William Penn   : this is why they don't, originally wear bottomed cloth. This is why men don't have mustache. They just don't want to identify with those soldiers who persecuted them. A huge culture. I understood almost nothing as I watched Witness. It's too huge!

I then met that woman, Ketty...to tchat for a while, in private:

 
 
 
How many years have you taught this class?
  • Actually I help people to understand how our community is organized in terms of education, I don’t teach since many years. I did just two years before I got married.
 What does differentiate Amish to other American citizens, in general?
  • Just our sense of the family. Everything is around our family. What does life mean without a family?
 Do you have children?
  • I have (laugh) 6 boys and the elder has found his own life in Indonesia…
 Is he a really Amish as he lives far from you?
  • Oh, of course. We, we are Amish Mennonite, and we think that life can be different though we don’t encourage that…
 what do you mean, Mum ?
  • ...that we are different people, and that everyone has also right to think life differently.
Really? Can I for example take a picture with you?
  • Sure! Hurry up! (others were getting inside the class). By the way, you should read Ira Wagler…
"Grew up Amish"?
  • Yeah! Do you know him?
I just bought it, I will read it. Do you read books?

  • (looking in my eyes and laugh) Don’t tell me you think all these books are for pictures!
Thanks for the picture, mum.
  • Of course! Where do you come gentleman?
From Burundi.
  • (she pushed her head towards me like, …, I repeated...) I don’t know.
Really? Unfortunately for you, mum. It’s in Africa.
  • To late! and...impossible to do like my son.
Why?
  • Yes we travel, but we normally don’t take flight, so…


(Your attention please, Ms Fran said loudly ...)
 
Audace Machado


No comments:

Post a Comment