Tuesday, November 26, 2013

If Fulbright program was opened to Burundi.


I was told that I was the first Humphrey Fellow from my country-Burundi-, since last 30 years. Some sources even say that it is the first time candidates came from Burundi - we are currently two-, through history. And I really feel like I’d stand up and advocate for my country to benefit this intellectual, educational, entrepreneurship even humanitarian, and so on, program and grant.


As a journalist, I thought that, some time, the reason may be the historical link with the francophone. That’s false. I even suspected the last years of war and genocides and other leadership lack, in Burundi. I selected some possible reasons-from my humble few knowledge-, and became more curious on its non-eligibility.


Clinton, Fulbright and Harriet Mayor
In fact, I knew Burundi was represented -and still- in different international institutions. Moreover, Burundi is on the front line in some countries in conflicts. I recalled Burundi being a model to its neighbors (in history) in some aspects such as education – many Rwandese and Congolese attended university studies in Burundi or, in last decades, Burundi faculties went to teach in those neighboring countries, even farther-; Burundi has also humble but real philanthropic, athletics’ personalities. The world heard about different personalities nominated for different international prizes, even the Nobel’s. What else? Yes, these last decades caused Burundians to flee their country and serve this world, elsewhere.

I thought Jeanne or Christine -to name a few- met with women of courage, for example.


With Derek A. Crider (AECOM)
I then thought that, as this year (2013-2014) Fulbright/Humphrey Fellowship, I had to rise up my little voice, and ask if I/anybody could contribute in telling / sharing how to open my country to this gorgeous program. I thought that would help in creating harmony and ameliorate humanity values, especially in that African Great Lakes Region. I dreamt it’s high time that small green color in that region was turning yellow. I mean, becoming beneficial to the Fulbright Grants, as it is all around Burundi.


I thought it’s really possible as the USA Government realized Burundi would be the real Heart of Africa.

Audace Machado

No comments:

Post a Comment