Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How Missoula Became the Center of the World?

            Nothing is new to talk about « USA » as a « melting pot », probably one main reason of its power. In June, Kate Ferrara, a young woman from what they call “Middle-West” came to me and asked where I am from. She told me she knew about Idi Amin Dada and some Ugandan history. I was astonished, but when she introduced me in her little office at the University of Montana, I understood a bit. Through her job, young boys and girls, from different counties of Montana, spend their summer time at the University of Montana. They experience the university’s life, make friends, learn about their country, exchange their experiences, etc. This area helps them to break frontiers. I had experienced AICHI to see how to create harmony in the world, but that event was as huge that it was impossible to see behind the people’s faces. Finally, “Bringing the World a Little Closer…Through Music”, “that could be performed everywhere”, I dreamt. Sixteen choirs gathered and performed  in Missoula from July 17th to 20th, 2013. That even is more than capacity of organization, marketing and business, culture exchanging, music or diplomacy. It’s all about “Honor and cultural legacy in the world”, as Steve Bullock said.

Estonia
Look, they came from Melbourne, they were Bach Children Chorus, Coastal Sound Youth, Kokopelli (both Canadians); Meng Girls, Costa-Rica El Café, Estonia El Stuudio Girls, Finland Academic Students-Pedavoces-, the Junges Vokalensemble Hannover-Germany-, the Chamber Choir of Feliks Nowowiejski Academy-Poland-, the Ewha Chamber Choir-South Korea-, the Bundner Jugendchor-Switzerland-, the Formosa Singers, the Californian WomenSing, the Kansas Lawrence Children’s choir and the New Jersey ChildrenSong.

             “Hospitality”, did John Engen insisted in his public letter. It’s more than capability to host 16 choirs (let’s say 15 from out Missoula), each countering more or less thirty people, boys and girls. It calls community involvement. And when the master of ceremonies, that final spectacle said “Let’s first thank all the host families that may be in this hall”, we all stood up for respectful praising to those tens of families. I understood that it might have been more than volunteering. It’s all about learning and traveling to China, Estonia, Kansas, etc., without paying any ticket. 

          “If some are fan of mobile phone, you should enjoy Nokia from our visitors’ country today, Finland”, said the MC. And they elegantly climbed the stairs to the scene. They had the Finland flag fixed somewhere in front of us, beside the Estonia from where, I personally didn’t know “Skype came from”, or that “music played a great role in that country’s political revolution.” The Governor of Montana had delivered, “Enjoy the treasures of downtown Missoula, the landscapes under the Big Sky” and companies, factories and alike had involved as “That’s why we give back.” North Western Energy, one of the main sponsors highlighted with pride “We support schools, sports, culture, service organizations and energy assistance foundation.” Very touching for me, who had faced this big deal of getting sponsorship from businesses, even for people in danger, not only for recreational events. Is Regideso giving any sponsorship for this kind of events? I don’t think so, but that’s not Missoula.  

China
         The real “Friendship Force is a private, non-profit citizen exchange”, did I read somewhere even before this festival. Reading me, don’t go back to historical events. Just see these young and artistically dressed South-Koreans discovering Missoula again, place some of them have been ten years ago, for this same festival: “Applauses» in Adams center. There, I understood why Dr Sandra couldn’t miss this kind of International event. She was just seating in front of Burundian and Taiwanese, between South-Koreans and Algerian. Towards the end, she had been joined by Brazilian and Haitian. Kathleen R. Kimble of the Missoulian, just introduced to Sandra, she was so excited to discuss about international students she is hosting. Back to Pantzer Hall, the first person I met was that young african who is working with Deena  Mansour, a humble woman I had met some times ago. And I had witnessed how this she and colleagues are also involved in international education. They might help hosting next year’s Humphrey Fellows with ELI, if some were sent to the University of Montana, why not? Already, we learned from the eminent Otto Koester. Yes, it’s all about diplomacy and internationalship. Politicians? Most of them don’t even know what happened in Missoula. Really! Did any authority of my region, knows about the Californian women singing in Kiswahili “woman wake up”? Heidel repeated enough, “What a privilege”. By the time I am sharing this, Sandra sent me some ideas: the ideas of how 7 billion (video) can live in peace!

         Parade of nations”. I think everyone gets goose bumps when any national anthem flows out. This was the style with David Edmonds, before Heidel  suggested everyone to sing in own language the “Auld Lang Syne”. Oh my goodness, when did these people rehearsed it? “And see you in three years”, concluded Kathleen R. Kimble. Ferrara, K. had told me that in America, probably everywhere in the world, “Universities are becoming the best place to democracy”, that’s may be the meaning of the final concert at Adams center. This festival started at this university, proved Terry Conrad’s pride, “Since 27 years, Missoula has been hosting this event.”

Canada
Remember, I mentioned this culture legacy through the world. And everyone witnessed this experience. This David Edmonds leading everyone’s mix sound, and live. From the all races Canadian choirs’ singers to the Taiwanese applauding Chinese – despite political discomfort-, etc., a real “
Once outside, an old man in black suite called his friend: “You’re lucky man to see this again”. I replied, “I am too”, though I was not concerned (I like to joke with people), and the old man laughed. I kept on running to get my last Saturday pizza-in Missoula-, crossing the Clark Fork River, starring to an aircraft far in the sky and remembering  what Sandra told me, the day before: “Now, you have to think about Olga.”

Audace Machado

No comments:

Post a Comment